Women for Women International works in some of the most dangerous places to be a woman. We serve women survivors of war in conflict and post-conflict areas around the world in 8 countries including Afghanistan, Iraq, Eastern Congo, and Northern Nigeria. Our core belief is that stronger women build stronger nations; and with access to knowledge, resources, and a support network, a woman rebuilds her life and improves her community.
Our model works and we have the data to prove it. In our 26-year history, Women for Women International has reached over half a million women. The women we work with across 3 continents earn just $0.81 a day when we enroll them. At graduation, it’s $2.11, nearly tripled.
Our impact goes beyond income. The number of women who say at least one household member went to sleep hungry in the last four weeks has gone from 18% to 5%. And more women say they speak out against women's abuse: 26% report having publicly spoken in the last 6 months against physically abusing women.
When women have the right tools, they realize the power within themselves to transform their lives, their families, their communities, and finally their entire nations.
The Interim Senior Director, Executive Operations will support our committed Board and global team in driving forward a new 10-year vision and 6-year strategy that will double our size and impact. This position plays a key role in significant discussions specific to global strategy and planning, culture, decision-making, Board relations, etc. and works within the epicenter of a global organization working at the forefront of gender, fragile & conflict affected states, and poverty. As a trusted advisor to the CEO and member of the Leadership Team (LT), this role operates as the pulse of the organization.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Governance/ Board Management (50% of time)
- Work across all Board committees to ensure a seamless, high quality and consistent program that inspires and encourages our Board in their commitment to WfWI
- In partnership with the CEO and Global Board Chair, plan for Board succession and continuity regarding Board leadership and committee chairs and drive recruitment of new directors in support of efforts to bring broader access within additional spheres of influence to the organization
- Support leadership in the on-going review of Board committee structure and make recommendations that build and support that structure to its greatest success
- Ensure governance-related topics and issues are addressed in a timely manner by the appropriate members of the Board or staff
- Strategic coordination of Board relations in partnership with fundraising teams.
- Coordinate preparation and dissemination of Board meeting materials for all global Board meetings and committees. This includes collaborating with the Senior Director of Finance in the review of all financial reports ahead of Board and Committee review.
Strategy & Planning (20% of time)
- Working closely with FP&A on the financial side, project manage the global annual planning process, and the updating of the three-year rolling strategic plan
- Support the LT in monitoring progress of key initiatives, their potential overlap/sequencing, and ensure that organizational commitments and priorities are being executed
- As necessary, prepare reports on overall progress of plan, strategy, and key projects
- Frame and drive decisions from the LT by ensuring discussions are supported with compelling analytics, critical thinking, and strategic recommendations
Executive Communications (10% of time)
- With the support of the Executive Coordinator, lead external communication efforts in collaboration with the HR and Communications teams to allow the CEO to have maximum impact by ensuring that her vision, strategy, and intent are properly developed and communicated across teams
- Lead the objectives and preparation of leadership meetings (LT and Global Leadership Team) to ensure effective, efficient outcomes and decision making
- Participate in development of External Engagement strategy of the organization, in supporting the CEO alongside the Communications team in preparing for External Engagements (helping spot and prepare for opportunities), and occasionally representing in deputy capacity for the CEO
Project Management (10% of time)
- Develop a plan for ensuring a smooth transition back to the HQ office in 2021 for HQ Office’s
- Co-lead the organization’s ongoing Diversity, Equity and Inclusion initiative
- Design, organize, and conduct comprehensive management of projects with ambiguous and changing requirements; drive all projects to completion, holding teams accountable and ensuring deadlines are met
- Shift from high-level strategic thinking to helping to drive implementation of high priority projects alongside functional teams
- Successfully execute deliverables with a hands-on approach, including drafting correspondence from the CEO and other tasks that facilitate the ability to effectively execute top priorities
- Identify cross-functional opportunities that don't have a clear home within the organization and assume ownership to lead and execute, with direct approval from the LT
Executive Support (10% of time)
- Proactively and consistently spot opportunities to add value or take things off the CEO's plate
- Demonstrate clear instincts for prioritization and determining which situations should be elevated to the CEO, versus which ones can be addressed otherwise
- Act as a trusted counsel to LT, providing insights and analyses on the organization’s operations, key decisions and other business areas
- Coordinate/manage the CEO in her whistleblowing/safeguarding officer role
- Coordinate Board-related fundraising efforts in support of CEO in her role as VP of Marketing, Development & Communications
- Work closely with the Executive Coordinator to manage prioritization of schedules, meetings, and projects
- Provide direct and indirect support to global administrative staff in support of the cross-functional demands of the organization
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 10+ years of professional experience, with 5+ years executive-level experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with a demonstrated ability to influence people across multiple levels and functions of a global organization, both internal and external
- Proven ability to create an effective decision-making culture and process ensuring documentation and communication of decisions
- Ability to uphold organizational values, including focus on empowering women leaders at all levels; willing to invest in the development of colleagues and of the organization
- Experience managing staff and working cross-departmentally with a proven record of building, managing and working with virtual teams and creating an empowering environment
- Strong financial analysis and budgeting experience
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, tactfulness, and good judgment and proven track record of effective interaction with senior management
- Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative work style
- Ability to work effectively and with grace and multi-cultural awareness in international setting
- Self-driven, able to determine the best course of action with little oversight across multiple projects and priorities; able to engage appropriate resources in a collaborative manner
- Good with process, with a bias towards execution
- Intellectually curious, deeply organized, reliable and highly attentive to detail
- A low-ego collaborator with all-hands-on-deck attitude; recognized as an ally by colleagues
- Trustworthy with the most sensitive of information
- Master’s/Advanced degree
- International NGO experience
Our global core values define how we are to behave as we pursue our mission, our vision, and our strategic objectives:
- Empowerment. We believe every woman is unique and powerful in her own right. Our people are our greatest strength and we will support them to achieve our aims by providing them with the information, rewards and power they need to take the initiative and make decisions to solve problems and improve our delivery and performance. As a learning organization - we encourage our people to take risks and make mistakes, we learn and grow and get better, stronger and smarter.
- Integrity. We will never communicate in any way that exploits or demeans the women we exist to serve, we will deliver a program of training that maximizes the impact for the women we serve to bring them the biggest benefits and facilitate the greatest long term positive change in their lives. we do what we say we are going to do, when we say we're going to do it. We act as good stewards of the organization’s resources.
- Respect. We believe every woman has the right to be treated with fairness and dignity. we trust each other implicitly, confident in the knowledge that we are all working towards the same goals. Equally, we hold each other responsible and accountable at all levels of the organization for the outcomes of our actions. We will be bold, clear and kind in our communication with our colleagues across the organization and not allow disrespectful behavior to go unchallenged.
- Resilience. We see every day the strength of women survivors of war and their ability to never lose hope despite having faced the greatest atrocities and horrors of conflict. They inspire us to stay strong, hopeful, focused and committed to our global purpose. We support each other to do the same.
This is a fixed-term position for approximately 6 to 7 months. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so please apply at your earliest convenience through our this portal.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.