Women for Women International works in some of the most dangerous places to be a woman. We serve women survivors of war in conflict and post-conflict areas around the world in 8 countries including Afghanistan, Iraq, Eastern Congo, and Northern Nigeria. Our core belief is that stronger women build stronger nations; and with access to knowledge, resources, and a support network, a woman rebuilds her life and improves her community.
Our model works and we have the data to prove it. In our 26-year history, Women for Women International has reached over half a million women. The women we work with across 3 continents earn just $0.81 a day when we enroll them. At graduation, it’s $2.11, nearly tripled.
Our impact goes beyond income. The number of women who say at least one household member went to sleep hungry in the last four weeks has gone from 18% to 5%. And more women say they speak out against women's abuse: 26% report having publicly spoken in the last 6 months against physically abusing women.
When women have the right tools, they realize the power within themselves to transform their lives, their families, their communities, and finally their entire nations.
Women for Women International (WfWI) has an immediate opportunity for a Manager, International Accounting. This position will report to the Associate Director, International Accounting and is a member of the Finance Department.
The Manager, International Accounting is responsible for providing support and training to program office finance teams and serving as the Finance Manager backup person in case of a vacant position in program offices. This person is also responsible to lead in all aspects of finance activities within CO finance and play a key role in building capacity for the field finance and partners making sure finance staff are able to deliver in the best possible manner.
The location for this position is flexible outside of the United States with a preference for candidates from a region where WfWI currently works (Nigeria, Rwanda, Democratic Republic of Congo, Iraq, Afghanistan, South Sudan)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coach, train and build capacity of finance staff with an aim of achieving highly skilled and motivated Country teams.
- Ensure Program Office capacity gaps and weaknesses are identified and work with relevant technical staff to ensure appropriate mitigation measures are in place.
- Develop finance capacity building plans, training materials development and coordinate training with relevant technical staff.
- Support the organization capacity assessment process, ensuring all partners are able to meet full funding requirements.
- Guide and participate in the Program Office finance manager recruitment process.
- Contribute to the design and preparation of regular Program Office financial management reports to meet the needs of country program teams ensuring timeliness and accuracy.
- Ensure that Program Office Finance Teams are familiar with WfWI financial systems and procedures.
- Work with Program Offices for direct support in monthly close.
- Assist with training and onboarding of Finance Managers and other Finance Staff.
- Travel to program offices as needed for a temporary assignment to serve as the Finance Manager during a vacant position and assist program offices with the recruitment of new Finance Managers.
- Provide Sage-Intacct accounting system training to newly hired Program Office Finance Managers.
- Work in partnership with the Director, global finance, and compliance to highlight concerns that may require investigation or ad hoc review.
- Provide technical support and aid global offices in clearing audit findings.
- Assess Program Office banking arrangement and support them to ensure timely wire transfers from Headquarters.
- Adhere to WfWI’s Code of Conduct and Safeguarding Policies and report concerns.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree in finance/accounting or related field preferred
- Minimum 7-9 years of successful experience in accounting.
- Demonstrated ability and proficiency to create meaningful financial reports using advanced Excel required.
- International experience and willingness to travel for an extended duration.
- Highly organized with strong analytical skills.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along well with diverse personalities.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
- Flexibility working across different global time zones
- Experience with Sage-Intacct software.
- Experience with Adaptive Insights.
- Ability to speak and read French.
Our global core values define how we are to behave as we pursue our mission, our vision, and our strategic objectives:
- We believe every woman is unique and powerful in her own right. Our people are our greatest strength and we will support them to achieve our aims by providing them with the information, rewards and power they need to take the initiative and make decisions to solve problems and improve our delivery and performance. As a learning organization - we encourage our people to take risks and make mistakes, we learn and grow and get better, stronger and smarter.
- We will never communicate in any way that exploits or demeans the women we exist to serve, we will deliver a program of training that maximizes the impact for the women we serve to bring them the biggest benefits and facilitate the greatest long term positive change in their lives. we do what we say we are going to do, when we say we're going to do it. We act as good stewards of the organization’s resources.
- We believe every woman has the right to be treated with fairness and dignity. we trust each other implicitly, confident in the knowledge that we are all working towards the same goals. Equally, we hold each other responsible and accountable at all levels of the organization for the outcomes of our actions. We will be bold, clear and kind in our communication with our colleagues across the organization and not allow disrespectful behavior to go unchallenged.
- We see every day the strength of women survivors of war and their ability to never lose hope despite having faced the greatest atrocities and horrors of conflict. They inspire us to stay strong, hopeful, focused and committed to our global purpose. We support each other to do the same.
This position will be based in a country where WfWI operates and local nationals are encouraged to apply. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so please apply at your earliest convenience through our career page here: https://www.womenforwomen.org/about-us/careers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.