Conflict is increasing globally, and with it the number of women suffering from violence, displacement, and poverty. After 25 years of serving close to half a million women survivors of war through our life-changing integrated program, Women for Women International (WfWI) is in a unique position to help.
Gender equality and conflict are at the forefront of public minds. The evidence base for our pro-poor gendered graduation approach has been made with donors. We have a powerful one-to-one individual giving model globally that has connected tens of thousands of supporters directly to the women we serve and to the women’s movement, which provides funding for 70% of our work. Partnerships with donor governments and with foundations have allowed us to expand further. We serve women in eight countries offering support, tools, and access to life-changing skills to move from crisis and poverty to stability and economic self-sufficiency.
We are now recruiting for a Country Director for Iraq based in Erbil, Iraq, to join our committed board and staff. Women for Women International has been working with and in Iraq since 2003 providing direct programming and working with local civil society to address the needs of the most marginalized women in Iraq, including displaced, marginalized and impoverished Iraqis as well as refugees.
Women for Women International seeks a dynamic and motivated leader with the vision to build up WfWI’s programs and presence in Iraq while creating an entrepreneurial environment within the team that drives toward action, fosters resourceful problem solving, ensures adherence to global and local compliance rules, and accountability for results.
Women for Women International (WfWI) is seeking a Country Director within our Iraq office. The Country Director is the official representative and leader of Women for Women International in Iraq. The Country Director shapes the vision and strategy for the Country Office, providing high level oversight over all areas of program implementation and operations. He/she will have demonstrated ability to build the capacity and counsel Country Office employees as well as manage team members. S/he will need to have a strong commitment to women’s empowerment, excellent leadership and management skills, the ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally, and to operate successfully in unstable and challenging environments.
As the official representative and leader of WfWI – Iraq, the successful candidate will represent the organizational, advocacy and programmatic priorities of the organization to donors and partners. S/he will lead WfWI`s efforts to maintain and strengthen WfWI`s reputation as a highly capable organization by cultivating and maintaining close, productive relationships with strategic partners and continually identify new opportunities for WfWI to add value and maximize impact.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Programmatic Leadership and Development
- Provide strategic and management oversight to the design and successful implementation of all programs offered by WfWI including community identification/assessments, rights and life skills training, cash transfers, and business and vocational skills training.
- Ensure that data collection, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on any aspect of the program is conducted in a timely manner and in line with WfWI and donor policies, procedures and grant agreements.
- Identify interventions that require additional monitoring and evaluation, and inspire the program team to analyse program process and impact through surveys, qualitative research, and other mechanisms.
- Work closely with the senior managers on all aspects of programming to ensure efficiency and accountability and to develop innovative programmatic approaches to help marginalized women improve their lives.
- Translate these program ideas into proposals, complete with budgets and log frames, in collaboration with the fundraising team in our HQ and UK offices.
- Monitor the performance of grantees/sub-grantees receiving funds from WfWI in Iraq to ensure compliance with grant agreement and programmatic best practice and principles.
- Ensure country office compliance with all organizational policies, procedures and program guidelines as well as the local laws.
- Participate in strategy development for the organization as a whole, and lead country office strategy processes within the broader global framework.
Financial, Operational, and Human Resource Management
- Responsible for the development, management and oversight of Iraq Office`s annual program budgets, in collaboration with program staff, and ensuring robust financial management and accountability of the country program budgets
- Ensure WfWI Iraq office`s teams across programmatic, administrative, and technical functions operate at an exceptional standard of performance, achieve maximum impact while delivering the programs and establish and maintain the systems and processes necessary to ensure compliance and value-for-money while creating an entrepreneurial environment that drives toward action, fosters resourceful problem solving, and ensures accountability for results
- Leads recruitment of new staff according to programmatic and operations needs to grow a highly effective and capable team to pursue WfWI`s strategic vision in Iraq.
- Mentor staff and ensure that performance appraisal systems are implemented properly by all managers.
- Ensure effective grant management, budget utilization and fulfilment of annual targets.
- Responsible for ensuring proper safety & security measures are taken to safeguard staff, participants, visitors and assets.
Fundraising and Representation
- Oversee the drafting of quality funding proposals and ensure accountable grant management in line with organizational and donor requirements.
- Develop fundraising opportunities and cultivate new donor relationships; ensure visibility of the WfWI Iraq program in country and regionally.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with local and international partners, donors, grantees, and relevant government agencies and community leaders.
- Lead and represent the organization to external audiences and stakeholders.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 10 years work experience ideally in the INGO/NGO sector, of which at least 5 years at a Managerial level.
- Master's Degree or equivalent post-graduate qualification in relevant field (or 15+ years’ relevant work experience in lieu of the advanced degree).
- Excellent leadership and management skills and demonstrated experience of managing teams of 10 or more staff members in a participatory style.
- Proven ability to raise and manage grants.
- Inspiring and motivational advocate for women’s empowerment programming a strong advantage.
- Experience working in conflict-affected and/or refugee contexts a strong advantage.
- Demonstrable understanding and experience of gender issues and proven commitment to addressing gender inequalities in all key areas of responsibility.
- Familiarity with managing budgets, financial reporting and grant writing.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and teambuilding skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong operational and logistical management skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and manage time efficiently.
- High level of maturity and cultural sensitivity.
- Knowledge of the political, economic and social context of Iraq.
- Strong computer skills in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Email applications.
- Fluency in written and spoken English, Arabic and Kurdish is required.
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so please apply at your earliest convenience. This position is based in Erbil and Iraqi national candidates are encouraged to apply so please apply at your earliest convenience through this portal.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.