Are you ready to join an organization where you can make an extraordinary impact every day?
Conflict is increasing globally, and with it the number of women suffering from violence, displacement, and poverty. After 25 years of serving over half a million women survivors of war through our life-changing integrated program, Women for Women International (WfWI) is in a unique position to help. Gender equality and conflict are at the forefront of public minds. Donors understand and support our evidence-based pro-poor graduation style program. We have a powerful one-to-one individual giving model that connects tens of thousands of loyal supporters directly to the women we serve and to the women’s movement, which provides funding for 70% of our work.
We are now recruiting for a Chief of Staff to join our committed board and global team in driving forward a new 10-year vision and 6-year strategy that will double our size and impact. This role plays a key role in significant discussions specific to global strategy and planning, culture, decision-making, board relations, etc. and works within the epicenter of a global organization working at the forefront of gender, fragile & conflict affected states, and poverty. As a trusted advisor to the CEO and member of the Leadership team, this role operates at the pulse of the organization. Are you ready to help make a difference in the lives of millions of women?
Reporting & Management
- Reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Member and convener of the Leadership Team
- Accountable to Global Board of Directors via the CEO and governance committee
- Line manager for Executive Assistant (EA) to the CEO.
Duties and Responsibilities
Governance/ Board Management
- Work across all board committees to ensure a seamless, high quality and consistent program that inspires and encourages our Board in their commitment to WfWI.
- In partnership with Leadership Team and Global Board Chair, plan for board succession and continuity regarding board leadership and committee chairs and drive recruitment of new directors in support of efforts to bring broader access within additional spheres of influence to the organization.
- Support leadership in the on-going review of board committee structure and make recommendations that build and support that structure to its greatest success.
- Ensure governance related topics and issues are addressed in a timely manner by the appropriate members of the Board or staff.
- Strategic coordination of board relations in partnership with fundraising teams.
- Coordinate preparation and dissemination of board meeting materials for all global board meetings and committees.
Strategy & Planning
- Drive strategic planning, business analyses and high priority projects.
- Monitor progress of key initiatives and ensure that organizational commitments and priorities are being executed.
- Frame and drive decisions for the Leadership Team with compelling analytics, critical thinking, and strategic recommendations.
Lead Internal Communication efforts in collaboration with the HR and Communications teams to allow the CEO to have maximum impact by ensuring that her vision strategy, and intent is properly developed and communicated across teams.
- Lead the objectives and preparation of leadership meetings to ensure effective, efficient outcomes and decision making.
- Design, organize, and conduct comprehensive management of projects with ambiguous and changing requirements. Drive all projects to completion, holding teams accountable and ensuring deadlines are met.
- Shift from high-level strategic thinking to helping to drive implementation of high priority projects alongside functional teams.
- Successfully execute deliverables with a hands-on approach including drafting correspondence from the CEO and other tasks that facilitate the ability to effectively execute top priorities.
- Identify cross-functional opportunities that don't have a clear home within the organization and assume ownership to lead and execute, with direct approval from the Leadership Team.
- Proactively and consistently spot opportunities to add value or take things off the CEO's plate.
- Demonstrate clear instincts for prioritization and determining what situations should be elevated to the CEO and what can be addressed otherwise.
- Act as a “trusted counsel” to Leadership Team, providing insights and analyses on the organization’s operations, key decisions and other business areas.
- Work closely with the CEO's EA to manage prioritization of schedules, meetings, and projects.
- Provide direct and indirect support to global administrative staff in support of the cross-functional demands of the organization.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree required, advanced degree desirable.
- 8-10 years of professional experience with 5+ years executive-level experience.
- Fluent communication skills, both written and verbal; an ability to influence people across multiple levels and multiple functions of a global organization, both internal and external.
- Proven ability to create an effective decision-making culture and process ensuring documentation and communication of decisions.
- Upholds organizational values, including focus on empowering women leaders at all levels; willing to invest in the development of colleagues and of the organization.
- Experience managing staff and working cross-departmental with a proven record of building, managing and working with virtual teams and creating an enabling environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills, maturity, tactfulness, and good judgment and proven track record of effective interaction with senior management.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and collaborative work style.
- Ability to work effectively and with grace and multi-cultural awareness in international setting, international NGO experience is a plus.
- Self-driven, able to determine the best course of action with little oversight across multiple projects and priorities; able to engage appropriate resources in a collaborative manner.
- Good with process, with a bias towards execution.
- Intellectually curious, deeply organized, reliable and highly attentive to detail.
- A low-ego collaborator with all-hands-on-deck attitude; recognized as an ally by colleagues.
- Trustworthy with the most sensitive of information.
- Strong budgeting experience.
We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis, so please apply at your earliest convenience through this portal.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.